Value: Ten (10) awards of $2000 will be awarded for Summer 2015 on a competitive basis.
Application deadline: March 24, 2015
Internships formally integrate academic learning with career development through work experience and help students’ to expand their knowledge, skills, and professional network. The Go Global International Internship Awards support UBC students undertaking international internships where the experience will have significant added value to their academic studies and career development.
These awards are administered by Go Global as part of the International Learning Awards, and are intended to partially fund the travel and living costs associated with undertaking an internship abroad.
Definition of an internship: For the purposes of the award, an internship is defined as a short-term (approx. 6 – 16 weeks) experience in a workplace setting that supports and enriches the student’s academic studies and career goals. The internship may be part-time or full-time, paid or unpaid. The internship may include a combination of professional observation, training, business/program development tasks, and research. The internship may not be purely service-based, nor primarily academic research. The internship may not be part of a Faculty Co-op program. Preference will be given to students undertaking full-time (25 – 40 hours/week), unpaid internships.
* UBC degree-seeking students returning to their studies in the term following the internship
* 2nd, 3rd or 4th year undergraduate student, or graduate student, in good standing
* Minimum 70% average over the best 24 credits in the 2013-2014 Winter Session with no failed courses
* Have a confirmed internship outside of Canada that supports the student’s academic studies and career development
* The student’s internship must meet the Definition of an Internship above
* Internships may not be in a location subject to a Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD) official travel warning (i.e. ‘avoid non-essential travel’ or ‘avoid all travel’). For more on travel restrictions see the UBC student safety abroad website at: http://safetyabroad.ubc.ca/.
* Student must agree to take part in required pre-departure preparation offered by Go Global.
See more information at: http://students.ubc.ca/about/go-global/budgeting-scholarships-and-awards-go-global#go-global-student-initiated-international-internship-award.